Sunday, June 12, 2022

With BJ Kim - Jeju-si (III), Jeju-do, Korea (December 2021)

 While I was staying in Jeju-si, BJ Kim came to spend time with me for five days. It was a special memory.

BJ Kim is in his early 50's married to an art therapist with two children. He has a PhD in Aviation Management and has been in the aviation industry for twenty-some years. He worked for United Airlines, KLM, and Qatar Airways for more than two decades. He is now Korea Country Manager for International Aviation Travel Association, the global trade association for the world aviation industry.

More importantly, BJ was in a Sunday school class in 1978 when I was teaching the third and fourth graders at a church where I was serving as a teacher while I was still in Korea's military service requirement. This is a photo of the Christian soldiers who fellowshipped together. Can you find me?

On one Sunday, approximately one month prior to my discharge from the service, probably in May of 1978, I was teaching the class about Deacon Stephan based on Acts 6 and 7. Looking back, the Lord transformed me from a shallow nominal Christian to a converted new life in Christ. Thus, I was converted into a new believer through the Sunday school class, thus making my salvation indebted to the class. And, BJ was one of the students and I was indebted to him as well. In 2018 after 40 years of such an event, the Lord led us to meet again in a car heading to a BAM conference in Mt. Seorak. What a providence of God! The following photo was taken when we had the first encounter.

From then on, we have remained in close contact and he wanted to spend some time with me while I was staying in Jeju. He was welcome. We spent time together, dined together, discussed topics of mutual interest together, and envisioned what the Lord has in store for the rest of our lives on earth together. It was a great time to remember.

One of the fun memories was this particular restaurant we accidentally went in to eat. Their Tofu-jorim was so delicious that we ended up going there twice and also ate Galchi-jorim. It was located in Gonaeri just in case I wanted to revisit.




We walked around a site that commemorated the fights of the Jeju residents against the Manchurians.



Another restaurant we chose to eat dinner.


We visited one place where the owner developed many stories out of rocks and trees. The quality was not of high quality, but the stories were interesting.





We also visited an archaeological site where the soil strata were so apparent. It was close to the sunset and the scenery was stunningly beautiful. 






Another place of interest was the windmill installed in the ocean. The scale was not as big as some I have seen in different places, but it was still significant.




We visited a cafe, one of the highly-rated ones as attractions. The name and the color stood out: Paper Clock in bright blue. The view was impressive and the ambiance was delightful. 







Indeed, the time I spent with you was brightly shining as the message below reads.


Also, we visited Osullock Tea Factory, a famous quality tea production site. There were a lot of visitors.





We visited a beach, called Hyunjae, where the sunset was beautiful.







Every morning, BJ and I started a day with a routine of exercises, including plank and stretches. Also, we tried to walk as much as possible, but my mobility challenge was a limiting factor.

The five days of sweet time came to an end. But, an end is only a means to another goal that presents hope and motivates us to do our best towards the goal. Ultimately, we aim to serve for the glory of God in whatever we do.

We started our journey from this A Twosome Place by the Gonaeri beach. After the five-day fellowship, we are still serving the Lord together through SfK MB Academy. I am so thankful for the opportunity to meet again one of the students in the class through which I received a new life in Christ.


BJ, thank you for taking the time to visit with me and spending time with me! - Jeffrey

1 comment:

Wonjin said...

What a touching story! Jeffrey and BJ~! I could feel deeply how great God's blessing to both of you through this nice post! Thank you for sharing~!