Sunday, June 12, 2022

Jeju-si (I), Jeju-do, Korea (November 2021)

After a few days of active sightseeing based in Seogquipo-si, I relocated to an Airbnb place in the City of Jeju. I decided to stay at a place in the middle of the city so that I can use public transportation, mainly the bus, for my travel needs, on top of a bike that I rented from the Airbnb place. 

At this place, I stayed for almost 20 days. The primary purposes I aimed to focus on were 1) practicing cooking, and 2) biking to strengthen my legs. I was still having hard time walking around for long due to pain in my right leg. This blogpost is the first segment of my stay in Jeju in November 2021.


Despite the primary two purposes, I had to make a strip to Gimhae, near Busan, to speak at a church where Rev. Ahn is pastoring. We started a church in Los Angeles when he had to leave the OMC in 1993. Later, he came to this church through a pastoral role exchange with the senior pastor of this church then. I shared a message at a Friday evening service. Rev. Ahn plans to retire by the end of 2022 and to return to Los Angeles. Our short reunion was delightful.



First, cooking. I started trying out easy cooking based on YouTube lessons. Of course, I made several mistakes, but I was making good progress early on.






To practice cooking more effectively, I had to visit a local market. But the place I visited was not only a practical market but also a market for tourists. There were a lot of food stands where many tourists gathered. The COVID-19 threat was continuing, but at least it was a readily accepted practice to wear a mask, unlike in the U.S. where wearing a mask is a hated practice.







More cooking practices...










This journey in Jeju-si continues in the next blog post. - Jeffrey

No comments: