Sunday, June 12, 2022

Seogwipo (II), Jeju-do, Korea (November 2021)

This is the second segment of my first journey in Seogwipo-si. I had a rental car so I was able to move around easily.

The bridge that I was able to see from the Aribnb place had a tower that looked like a hotel in Dubai. But it imitated the sail canvas of a boat.

Another place of interest in the southern part of Jeju island was Joo-Sang Jeolidae. It is the collective place of interlocking basalt columns on and around the cliffs.




Some were watching the scene from the boat in the sea.





Although it was unique in Korea, the scale was far too small compared to Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland. It has 40,000 plus rock pillars displayed around the cliffs and the beach rocks. 

I visited another waterfall namely Cheonjeyeon Waterfalls. The scale is quite small compared to other grand waterfalls I have seen. It is rather cute.






As I drove to the north, I enjoyed the scenic view on the scenic driveway.






At one of the places, I ate Seafood Ramyun and it had a whole octopus, a baby avalon, and one-half of a small crab. It was my first experience of eating seafood Ramyun with such contents. It was good!


More scenic views on the way...



With a lot of reeds...that went very well with the ocean views.



On the day I traveled from the south to the north to check in at the Airbnb, I decided to take the highest elevation road. It was snowing up there. It is as high as 5,000 feet and it was the first time snow for me in 2021.





But, the seaside was without snow and even a gloomy day looked quite impressive, particularly with these colorful rocks in the background.


I visited Sungsan Ilchulbong, which means "a holy mountain top where the sun rises." It is located at the eastern tip of the island and it is a UNESCO natural heritage site. I could not climb up to the top due to pain in my leg, but I was able to enjoy the view of the place.







At another point on the scenic highway, I spotted rows of squids hung for drying. They looked quite tasty. Do you know how much I like squids and octopuses?





I also visited the Jeju Folk Village and Museum where Jeju's cultural heritage is preserved and exhibited. There are quite a few interesting structures and cultural artifacts on display.



















Jeju is famous for many things including basalt rocks from the volcanic activities, a lot of wind, a lot of women (due to men dying from fishing in the ocean), black pigs, and oranges.












It is a memorable place that offers many interesting places and stories to share. In a few months later, I ended up returning to this beautiful island. - Jeffrey

No comments: