Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Gwangju, Korea (January 2022)

My father escaped North Korea while there was the Korean War. So he does not have his family in South Korea.

But, my mother is from Suncheon, Cholla-Nam-do and she has siblings. Currently, she has one younger sister and one younger brother still alive. But she had two other younger brothers and one older sister who have passed away.

Through my mom's siblings, therefore, I have several cousins most of whom live in Mokpo, Gwangju, or Suncheon.

One of my cousins is Namnan, pictured below, who is several years younger had the youngest daughter getting married in Gwangju. So Jimin and I made a trip to attend the wedding ceremony and celebration.
 

Her younger sister, Namsook, also came with her own children. It is a shame that I do not know my cousins well enough to have a relationship. One of the reasons was that I left Mokpo to go to college and I have since moved even further to the U.S. So I have been apart from them all for a long time.


Jimin and I took a few photos together.



Also, my uncle and I took a photo together. After this wedding, I was heading down to Mokpo to stay at one of his 58 apartments for over a month.



 Come to think of it, I did not have any photos of the wedding itself. Oh well... _ Jeffrey

No comments: