Friday, July 26, 2024

Trip to Gang Neung, Korea (June 2024)


I have a few travel companions. One of them is Mr. and Mrs. Yoon. I met them while I was working in New York and they have become one of my travel companions since we climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro together in 2011. They built a house in Gang Neung, Ganwon-do and I was invited to visit them. So I made a two-night three-day trip. What a joyous trip!



Gang Neung became famous because it hosted the Winter Olympics in Pyong Chang. The KTX, the Korean bullet train, was extended to Gang Neung and it took me only 2 and a half hours from Seoul. The Yoons lived in New Jersey, but they decided to live in both countries. After trying different places in Korea, they chose Gang Neung to build their house. I was told that I was the first non-family member guest to visit the house. I felt honored. 

They had to suffer from a bad contractor initially, but they were able to find another contractor who finished the construction to their satisfaction. Since they would not live at this house full time, they wanted to make the house maintenance-free. Yet, they made a pretty good garden for farming as well as landscaping. 










The first meal was a beef barbecue. Mr. Yoon grilled the steak using a special grill imported from the U.S. The meat was really soft and delicious, along with the salad solely from their garden..






The next day, we went out to Coffee Street full of gourmet coffee shops. We strolled along the beach. 




We had lunch at one of the famous restaurants. We tried several dishes and all of them were really tasty. Better yet, the prices were very affordable. I would love to return to this wonderful place.








We stopped by a coffee shop with a great sea view. Being together alone was great, but traveling together would be even better as we age.




Our next travel is for Mr. Yoon and I will walk the Portuguese Route of El Camino de Santiago in September. Then, as a couple, we will travel to Japan together with a few other couples in February 2025. I am looking forward to our traveling time together. I am deeply grateful for their friendship and companionship. - Jeffrey 

No comments: