Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Camino de Santiago Portuguese Day 9 (September 2024)

Our ninth-day journey was on Sunday. We worshipped together online. It was the second time we worshipped together after we had the worship a week before. I was grateful that Mr. Yoon joined me in worship. 

Today's walk was only for 12 km to the Town of Pontevedra. Although the distance was relatively short, there were enough ups and downs on the way, making the walk quite challenging. 


Mr. Yoon showed the nine fingers indicating it was the ninth day. We were in good spirits at least initially.


On the Camino walk, I noticed that many houses had miniature churches in their backyards. Some were tiny and others small. I suspected that they built these miniature churches as sacred places for their worship rituals, like shrines.



We saw many decorations and signs that pertain to the Camino.




When we reached the Town of Pontevedra, our hotel was right in the middle of the town, close to the central plaza and cathedrals.




Since the walk was short, we arrived a bit early and we had much longer free time over dinner. Mr. Yoon and I shared a lot of personal life stories. 



After I returned to my room, I had a private time to meditate on the concept of El Camino or The Way. In summary:

1) Jesus Christ claimed to be the way. "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) 
2) The way Jesus Christ lived was the way of life as an example of life we as Christ-followers should also live and walk. The way of mercy, grace, love, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, patience, self-control etc. That is the way.
3) We, Christ-followers are called to enter into the narrow gate and walk on the narrow way, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But, small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13,14) The narrow gate and road are the righteous way in God's eyes. 

As I was walking on the Camino, I was enlightened again to understand what the Camino walk meant to me. Thank you, Lord! - Jeffrey

No comments: