Saturday, October 19, 2019

Phnom Penh, Cambodia (October 2019)

I made a short visit to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The primary purpose was to assess the leadership capacity of Hesed Cambodia through interviews and to provide a mini training on BAM for the leadership team.

The training was conducted for three days with two hours of training for each day, totaling six hours. It was far too short to cover the contents sufficiently, but the responses were favorable.


The interviews were with all Korean staff and Nareine who joined Hesed Cambodia with his palm sugar business. I took the leadership out to dinner in appreciation for their sparing time for me.



For a day, I spent a day with Mr. Bong Rae Lee of Joybells and Hesed Global who started Hesed Cambodia approximately 4 years ago. He also serves as Chief Investment Officer of SfK Korea. I observed a business meeting that he was presiding over and also we met a couple who want to start an energy drink business to help the garment factory workers with affordable and healthy drinks in lieu of cheap fake coffee drinks.



Also, we met with Mr. Sukjoo Choi who started a dried mango business two years ago to help a local church congregation members and is now in the process of incorporating the business to scale it up. Bong Rae Lee and I plan to make investments in the new venture. Hopefully, the venture will grow in sales enough to be able to apply for a grant fund from KOICA. We will see.



I saw some former participants in the SfK MBA Boot Camp Training held in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in January 2019, such as Yang Hee Park, Woon Jae Lee, Insol Jung, Hye Kyung Umh etc. It was joyous.

I stayed at the lodging facility inside Hesed Cambodia's palm sugar facility. I ate the meals at the home of Mr. Jong In Lim, who leads the operations of Hesed Cambodia. He used to work for Samsung SDA and also ministered to a local church in Jeju for 16 years. They were people of God demonstrating godly characters. I am grateful for their hospitality.


I had an opportunity to dine at one of North Korea's restaurant businesses in Phnom Penh. Cambodia and North Korea have diplomatic ties. Nangmyun or buckwheat cold noodle soup was delicious!





After discussion with Bong Rae Lee, I agreed to make another travel to Cambodia in December to provide a day-long training for a group of select Cambodian staff and to lead a strategic planning session for Hesed Cambodia leadership. That would be the last overseas trip for me in 2019. - Jeffrey

No comments: