Saturday, October 5, 2019

California, USA (September/October 2019)

I made a trip to California in September 2019 primarily to take part in Bethel BAM Conference held at Bethel Church in Irvine, California from September 20 - 22. The theme was Missional Life with BAM, which I thought should have been Missional Life and BAM or Missional Life in BAM.





On the first day, the conference was for the local church pastor to enlighten them with BAM concepts and missional life.




On the second day and third day, the conference was open to the entire congregation and the general public.


Pastor Dongho Song and Pastor Dohyun Kim, two main speakers


I gave a presentation about SfK Ministries and also shared my life journey leading to SfK Ministries.


After the worship service, we spent some time at the Senior Pastor Hanyo Kim's office and Mr. Jae Chul Yoo served us with the famous Pu'er Tea.


After Sunday sessions, we were invited to Bryan and Esther Chun's house for dinner.


One of the reasons why God brought me over to California across the Pacific Ocean I believe was to bless me with His message: "Follow the way of the Cross." It was Pastor Dohyun Kim's message on the first day. The cross is not just to be saved but to live out the faith in our lives. Matthew 16:24 and Galatians 2:20 came to my mind.


A week later, I attended the God's Family Church and Pastor Ildo Choi was a special speaker for the rally at the GFC. The message was "The Life of a Grain of Wheat" based on John 12:24. It was the same as the Way of the Cross. The Way of the Cross is to die to bear many fruits. To die is not because you are unable, but despite the strength you may have.


The Lord brought me over to California to enlighten me that I truly need to live out this message. I was in tears while Pastor Ildo Choi was praying after the message. Now I need to apply the message to my life. I need to make an important decision..

After the BAM Conference, I took a short trip to Dallas and Calgary, which are covered in different blog posts.

After two short trips, there was a gathering of SfK Life Board members and Kingdom Fellows based in Southern California over dinner. A total of 19 people attended and it was a joyous event.










On Saturday, September 28, we held the whole-day In-Person Board Meeting of SfK Life Corporation. Three new members joined the board meeting for the first time: i.e. Steven Kang, John Kim and Sam Kim.


Steve Kang generously allowed us to use his office conference room for our board meeting.





We held the regular board meeting and the strategic planning session to review the BAM Movement, the remaining key issues to address in BAM along with the review of what contribution SfK Ministries has made for the past four years and whether its Vision, Mission, Core Values, Strategic Foci, Strategic Principles and Priority Groups are still relevant. The meeting was fruitful.

I had a separate meeting with John Kim to discuss about KS Global Partners and Joybells America.


Also, I made a mutual introduction between John Kim and Kathy Cho on merchandising.

Kwangho "Kent" Lee made a contact with me seeking a job with a BAM company. After discussion, he agreed to take part in SfK Ministries with the responsibility of planning, developing and managing the training curriculum for SfK MB Academy.


A significant part of the joy of traveling is meeting up with people. I met up with John Lee who focuses on training Latinos to be sent to the mission fields. He confirmed that the Latinos excel in serving in North Africa. That would be wonderful if we could find an opportunity to collaborate. We planned to get together with his son, Joshua, when I return to LA in December.


With Pastor Robert Oh...


With Hyunsoo Kim who was later commissioned and deployed to Georgia on October 2.


John Han said he would like to build a village for the retired missionaries. He wanted to get together, but never followed up.


I was invited to share my life journey with Christian businessmen attending Sarang Church of Southern California, led by Steve Kang. I met two Christian brothers both of whom were influenced by Dr. Linsu Kim who was also my mentor. They were Sam Min, a Marketing professor at Cal State Long Beach and Joseph Kim who served in Bolivia and now runs a business. What a blessing it was to meet people whom I could relate to.


Jinsoo let me use one of his cars again. He and his wife treated me with dinner and gave me a ride all the way to the LAX. It is quite far from Irvine where they live. I feel deeply indebted with gratitude.  - Jeffrey

No comments: