Friday, December 29, 2017

Trip to New York/New Jersey (December 2017)


Our trip to New York was for about 10 days. During this time, I had to drive down to Philadelphia and Lancaster one day. And I had to fly out to Atlanta for three days. So my stay in New York was really short. Nonetheless, I was able to get a lot done during this short stay.

New Jersey Harvest Church
I was given an opportunity to share a message at New Jersey Harvest Church in Closter. Rev. Minsong Ahn is the senior pastor. We have known him and his wife since 1996 in Denver. I talked about work, business and BAM through the message. I trust that the Holy Spirit worked in the hearts of people who attended at the Friday service. I look forward to witnessing what the Lord will do in the church congregation members.




Travel Mates
In New Jersey, there are two of our frequent travel mates: The Jay Yoon's and the Jaesup Choi's. We had a meet up over lunch in Fort Lee. We climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro together; traveled from Cape Town to Victoria Falls through Namibia and Botswana for three weeks through overland trucking; explored the Scandinavian countries and eastern Europe and toured the historic U.K and green Ireland. It is a blessing to have travel mates whose hearts are warm and kind to each other. Mr. Choi is fighting against lung cancer and he looked quite well. We are dreaming of exploring the Patagonia in January or February of 2019, Lord willing.



Meeting People
Kristin has three brothers and all live in New York and New Jersey. We had a gathering over dinner. I found it interesting that our conversation centered around health and MediCare. The youngest brother has been struggling with his kidney for nearly two decades. Recently he had two donors of their kidneys but the doctors found him unready to receive their kidneys due to his liver unhealthy. So he missed the opportunity. I am sure it was frustrating. His wife seems to handle the circumstance pretty well. Their wives did not want to be in the photo, bot only Won siblings.

Yeunho Suk is my college alumnus senior, former CEO of Hyosung America and long-term Chairman of Korea America Chamber of Commerce (KOCHAM). He agreed to assist in our efforts to establish trading posts for SfK Missional Business Trading. He would be very helpful in penetrating into the mainstream market with the products of freedom businesses and community development missional businesses.


After the worship service at NJ Harvest Church, Kristin and I had a meet up with Elder Kwangho Cho and his wife Myunghee who is Kristin's nursing school friend. AFter retirement, Elder Cho is now studying for an MDiv degree. Great passion that he has.


Yeonhee Han and Seung Joon Lee are my former colleagues. Now they are part of senior leadership at their banks, but they all began as my proteges. It makes me feel good to see them grow mature and successful.

Jaesup Choi made an arrangement for a lunch meeting with Mr. and Mrs. John Koh and Jennifer Oh. John Koh is deeply involved in empowering missional businesses in central Asia and I hope to expand our relationship. His wife is involved in empowering children. Jennifer is involved in 5L2F Mission Organization in helping children in poor nations. All have beautify servant hearts and they make me humble before God and also obedient to be faithful to Him.



Dongkee Shin is a CPA and serves as an elder in charge of missions at NJ Harvest Church. We had a lengthy discussion about how the church may implement right strategies for their missions efforts in their own backyeard: New York where all the world nations call their second home. The Greater New York is the ripe mission field within the U.S. I also solicited his involved in SfK Ministries with his accounting profession. We will see where the Lord leads our relationship and his talents.


Taeok Park is also a CPA and takes care of our home tax returns as well tax returns for SfK Life Corporation. It is a customary practice to meet and catch up whenever I visit New York. He is also my college friend. Coincidentally, Taeok was using an office space at Samwoo CPAs where Dongkee Shin is one of three partners.


Harry Kim is a world sojourner and BAM practitioner. He leads Korean BAM network, called K-BAM.  He has two sons working and studying in New York. So he comes to New York quite often. He has changed his travel plans twice and finally he was able to come back to New York while I was in New York. So we met and ate seafood with rice at a Chinese restaurant. Due to his keen interest in eating only choice meals, I had full trust in his choice. He never let me down.




Sung Eun Hong is Chairman of Ranier Group. He is practically 35% owner of the Korea's professional baseball team Heroes. We met when I was in New York and was the first Chairman of Shinhan Society. I am grateful to him for maintaining our relationship.


Dr. David Ahn is a teaching professor of computer science. He was a tenured professor at Nayak College and has recently transferred to City University of New York (CUNY). He used to be CIO of Shinhan Bank American when I was leading the bank. It was wonderful to see him again after almost 9 years.

When I visited Atlanta, I had a meet up with Ji Bae, Director of IT for SfK Ministries. He told me that on that day he was traveling to New York. We would be in the same city at the same time. That would be a wonderful opportunity for me to meet his girlfriend who is a medical doctor. So we met up together with Alex Hong, VP of database management at Loyd Bank New York. What a small world! We thoroughly enjoyed our get-together. 




Central Park
Kristin and I strolled in the Central Park. The fallen leaves covered the grass fields and streets. It is a bit strange sense of looking at skyscrapers through the tree branches in the park.





I saw Trump International Hotel at Columbus Circle and remembered the first encounter with the current president of the U.S. Donald Trump. He waved at me, but I did not respond. I am sure he thought I was a jerk who did not recognize him, but I did. I did not like his pompous style and chose not to respond. Ha...!


At the corner of the Central Park, there was a Holiday Market around the Columbus Circle. It looked like Christmas Market in Germany and Austria. Peeping into the merchant stores and window shopping were fun part of walking around the market. I found a booth that sells peace baskets of Rwanda. Also, I found a booth that sells products for empowering women: namely Fashion for Women.






One statement caught my eye: "Who says I have to act my age?" I agree.


 Manhattan
I worked in Manhattan for four and a half years. So I am somewhat familiar with Manhattan. But, Time Square gives me always a lively impression and the Empire State Building stands out in the skyline.


Manhattan has the Wall Street. Merrill Lynch has a statue of a bull that symbolizes a rising stock market. There is another statue of a girl that faces the bull. It looks like a girl defines the capitalism and materialism.


Kristin took a photo of Manhattan skyline at the sunset. It looked gorgeous.


We worshiped at Redeemer East Side Church on Sunday. Even after Tim Keller retired, the church split into four churches still thrive. I praise the Lord who enables and empowers the church.



I always wanted to visit NYC as a tourist at least once. I am not sure when, but I really hope to be able to do so. Lord willing.  - Jeffrey

No comments: