Friday, December 29, 2017

Trip to Memphis, TN (December 2017)


While we were visiting Denver, I made an overnight trip to Memphis, TN. The primary purpose of the visit was to meet up with Tom Phillips who together with his wife Beth owns and runs a private business of manufacturing conveyor belt systems and selling to businesses, such as UPS, FedEx, and airports.

Tom is a BAM practitioner and serves as a member of SfK Life board. He is a wonderful and godly man of God and does his best to being a good steward of what God has entrusted with him, including time, talents and treasure.


He has been a strong supporter to SfK Ministries and I cannot thank God enough for him and his faithfulness to His calling. I intend to write a blog post for the FB group of SfK Ministries.

He continued to make a financial contribution to supporting SfK Ministries this year and pledged to help establish a fund that will be adequate to make SfK Life sustainable to cover non-payroll operating expesnses once the fund is fully put to profitable use.

Tom gave me a quick tour of his company, introducing me to all his senior leadership team. He runs the business very intensively and competitively without losing integrity. But, he maintains thrift in his life style, thus preserving the resources, which in turn are used for Kingdom impact. A diagram shows this dynamics very well. No wonder DCI was ranged the fastest growing private company in 2015. His office showcases many projects that he and DCI supports.




I visited DCI in 2009 at a different location. Then, DCI had a staff of 25. Now it has grown to be 162. His business has continued to grow leaps and bounds. It was God's blessing, he said, and I believe.

Tom and Beth remain humble before God and He keeps blessing the business to be greater blessing to others in need. What a testimony!

I had dinner with Tom and his wife Beth, CEO of DCI. Accidentally I found out that it was Tom's 60th birthday. I was glad to be part of his 60th birthday dinner together with Beth.


I am not sure where the Lord is taking SfK Ministries, but I remain resolved to depend on Him and draw His divine wisdom on all matters. I trust He is greater than any and all human wisdom combined. Also, He is more resourceful than all human wealth collectively. Moreover, He is able and provides for what He wills. So I need to make sure SfK Ministries stay on course for the vision and mission that are aligned with God's vision and mission.

Lord, we are tremendously grateful for all You have done. I pray that You will help us also in the year 2018 as You will.

Memphis Airport used to have far more flights flying in and out of the airport than now. When Norwest Airlines merged with Delta, the number of flights was reduced considerably, Tom explained. At the airport, I saw a host of FedEx airplanes.

At the airport and everywhere, I saw the statues and posters of Elvis Presley, the king of Rock 'N Roll. Memphis is the birth place of Rock 'N Roll and blues. Elvis was all over the places.





Also, I learned that Memphis is the place where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. The city still remains deeply divided and requires healing and reconciliation.

This was the second time of visit to Memphis, but I still have not had a chance to tour the city. Perhaps I will next time. - Jeffrey

No comments: