Friday, September 25, 2026

River Cruise - Bratislava, Slovakia (June 2026)

 

Our first river cruise was on the River Danube. The route started in Budapest, Hungary, and was supposed to end in Munich, Germany, after we disembarked in Regensburg, Germany. This original schedule had to change because of the lower water level upstream. This will be explained further later. Our tour director was a very well-organized Austrian lady. She was great! 

The ship we were on board was Monarch Queen. Gate1 Travel chartered this ship and used it for its own customers. I did not know that Main Floor was the lowest floor, so I had to upgrade our cabin to a veranda cabin. But the price was less than half of the original price. It was a bargain. 

Before we set sail, I met a Nebraskan gentleman, namely Joe, and his wife Betty, from Nebraska. They brought another couple, called Brian and Renee, from New Jersey/Florida. We became dinner table buddies throughout the cruise. It was a fun time at every dinner. 

After sailing throughout the night, the next morning, we arrived in Bratislava, Slovakia. We had been to this city before, but it was refreshing to see the city we once visited.

This city's landmark is this UFO-shaped observatory and restaurant, called UFO Tower. You have to buy a ticket to take the elevator to the top. I went up to the roof, but the layout was not impressive, but the view of the city from the roof was panoramic.





We walked around the city center and saw several landmarks, including the Opera House, shown below, and many bronze statues in the city, including the man in the manhole. 










In the middle of the city center was the palace building on the hill, which is now used as the Presidential Palace. We could have walked up, but we decided not to.


Hyundai Motor invested in this country by establishing its automobile manufacturing plant, while other automakers declined to do so. This country is immensely grateful to Hyundai for trusting in and investing in the country. Slovakia is now an important hub for automobile manufacturing in Europe. 


I feel warm whenever I visit this small capital city in Slovakia. - Jeffrey

No comments: