Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Trip to Chungju and Cheongju, Korea (September 2021)

After a fiasco at SFO due to the PCR test report issue, I arrived at Incheon Airport. Because of the negative PCR test report and the quarantine waiver approval, I was allowed to go on my own. It was a surprise to find out that the airport limousine bust to Chungju was suspended due to the lack of demand as a result of strict rule over incoming passengers.

So I ended up taking a taxi all the way to my Airbnb lodging in Chungju. It cost me approximately $120 for a two-hour drive. The following day, I had to go to the Chungju city clinic to get the PCR test again. The following day, the result came out negative. But I was required to take another PCR test within a week. So I did. Again negative.

Until all these tests are done, I had to stay in Chungju. I was able to stay at the dormitory facility of Cconma Korea, where my residential address is established at least for the time being. 

Also, I made a trip to Cheongju, the capital city for the Chungcheong Buk-do province where I had to begin the process of restoring my Korean citizenship. Until it is completed, I had to go through several steps the first of which was to confirm the loss of my Korean citizenship when I acquired the U.S. citizenship in August 1989. Later, I had to apply for the Korean Alien Registration Card in order for me to be able to apply to restore my Korean citizenship. It would take another three weeks.


People were asking why I was trying to restore my Korean citizenship. The simple answer is because the Korean passport is far more effective and useful in the countries where I need to travel for the SfK ministry work. For example, with the U.S. passport, I have to apply for a visa every time I need to enter Vietnam, but the Korean passport lets me enter the country for 90 days without any visa. In Thailand, US passport allows me to enter for 30 days without visa, but Korean passport lets me to enter without visa for 90 days. The list goes on...

I spent time with Bongrae Lee, Joybells CEO and Donghoon Choi, Cconma Korea CEO to discuss various issues. Always encouraging to see him in action.


The facility overall was cute and pretty, particularly at night.




We had a dinner at a restaurant where their specialty was duck cuisine cooked with black garlic. It was delicious.

I was invited to dinner by a couple who served in Cambodia as CEO of Hesed Cambodia for two years. They are now settling down to lead a residential development project around Cconma Korea. Pastor Lim and his wife are very pleasant and kind.


While I was staying in Chungju, BMT 2020 members had a small gathering in Chungju to say farewell to HS Lee who was scheduled to head out to Egypt where his family have served for the past several years. It brings great joy to me to get together with BAMers.


HS Lee, Sungsoo Kim, BJ Kim, Wonjin Choi. All are precious to me. I am blessed with these people.Thank you, Lord. - Jeffrey

No comments: