Monday, February 24, 2020

Kathmandu, Nepal (February 2020)

The primary purpose of my third trip to Kathmandu was to conduct a focused training (FT) for ECEC or Early Childhood Education Center. It was started by a Dutch missionary 18 + years ago and the management was transferred to a Nepali man a few years ago. With the total number of employees at 53, it is considered the best teacher training institution.


On Sunday, I attended Kathmandu International Christian Congregation. It was a quite sizeable group, led by a Canadian pastor.



On the way to the church, I saw a group of soldiers marching on the street. Apparently, they were retreating from the night guard duty at the Chief of Army Staff compound nearby. Also, I saw a group of kids playing ping pong on a concrete table with red brick pieces as the net. What a passion for the sport and pass time!



I joined the ECEC's devotion time on Monday. They were meditating on "Thankfulness."


I conducted a strategic planning session with the top management and the board on Monday and Friday. On Monday, we identified the issues and chose the important issues through the priority management matrices. On Friday, we worked on specific actions plans for the selected seven issues. It was very constructive.


On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I conducted a general training for the expanded leadership up to 15 on Thursday. All participants were eager to learn with great enthusiasm. It is very encouraging to see such eager and positive attitude. At the end of the training, ECEC wanted to be part of SfK MB Community and our relationship has been established, subject to a few formalities.



Ptambar, Reiny and Reann are the key figures of ECEC.


I also visited with some of the graduates of SfK MBA BCT Kathmandu held in August 2019. A few are making good progress with their businesses and a few are still considering.


Green Tree is a fashion designer business, currently training 7 Nepali young ladies on fashion design. They have completed a little more than 2 years, but they still need to be trained more. Meanwhile, they design and make uniforms to schools. Also, they sponsor outfits for TV show hosts to put their names out in the market.


I met up with Corban of Purna, a freedom business, making garment products as private brands mostly for companies in the U.S. Their product quality seems quite good. They now employ more than 100 people. They are in the process of buying a piece of land and build their own facility.

I thought Green Tree and Purna could collaborate for the same Kingdom purpose. I arranged a meeting for Mr. Kim, Suntae and Ms. Cho, Sang Mee to visit Purna and to meet Purna's people. Corban had to take care of one of his employees at the police station and Alex showed us around. I hope that their relationship develops further.






I dined a few times at Asian YUMYUM, an Asian fusion style restaurant. The interior design was outstanding compared to the Nepali general standards. I ate the Korean bibimbap in fusion style.




I met up with Kwon, Young Woong, who attended SfK MBA BCT Chiang Mai 2018. He runs a cafe and is thinking of starting a coffee roasting business. His focus on business has diminished from the time he attended the training since he is now focusing more on training people and sharing the message. But I sense that he has a good sense of entrepreneur.


I stayed at Gracemandu Guest House again, but it was pretty cold to stay without the heating facility. Sangmee lent a heating blanket that really helped me sleep warm. But the cost of the lodging was very inexpensive. They opened another one, namely Gracemandu Norwegian Guest House. It is good news to expand under challenging circumstances. The Nepali map in their kitchen was an informative piece whenever I ate alone.


I also met up with Bill who is running an Aquaponics business with his wife Janet. Apparently, they were thinking of returning to the U.K. and were in the process of exploring the options to make a gracious exit. We had a productive discussion.

I also visited Crazy Mexican run by Javier and Lorena. Javier was still in Mexico and we had a conference call with Lorena. We explored a few options to develop our relationship, including training for his friends in Mexico. I will follow up when he returns to Kathmandu.

Korean Makery was started by Mr. Choi, Haewoong and Ms. Yang, Inhee. Inhee attended SfK MBA BCT Kathmandu. They came to visit with me at the guest house and I was pleased to hear that the bakersy is doing well and they seem happier than before. Praise the Lord! They brought some cookies and I shared them at ECEC.


Mr. Park, Jae Myun, a graduate of SfK MBA BCT Kathmandu 2019 gave me a lift to the airport. He is thinking of a business opportunity that involves IT. We will stay in touch.


At the airport, I saw a picture of signs that showed the distances to many cities. I left Kathmandu receiving the farewell of the sign. - Jeffrey

No comments: