Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Dhaka, Bangladesh (October 2018)


I made a short trip to Dhaka, Bangladesh to assist Good Neighbors with its effort to scale up the microcredit activities.

The short 3 night stay went fast with many meeting schedules and internal meetings. So my experience was limited to what I heard and what I observed while we were in transit.

One of the surprising discovery was the comfortable guest house where we stayed. It is owned and run by a Korean who has been living in Bangladesh for 16 years. The foods were excellent! They serve three meals a day plus daily cleaning plus housing, and charge $60 per person per day. It is not cheap, but the it was well worth. Also, this price is a discounted price from the regular price of $80.

The first day breakfast was like this.


At this guest house, I found a strange fish that has a hump on her head. She looked lonely but first strange.


The meetings were primarily with lawyers to learn about the regulatory framework on microcredit activities. They were mostly unprepared and their responses were not even consistent. Well... What did I expect from them?

At the building where one of the lawyers is using for his office, I found the construction incomplete. The stairs were incomplete and there was no guardrails. I was not sure if they can start using the building without finishing the construction or if they started using it without the formal permit based on bribe. But, it was really hazardous.


The most astonishing discovery was the terrible traffic jam on the street. Everyone was honking and every vehicle cut in. I could understand the situation. The roads are too little for the number of cars. Or, there are far too many cars for the roads. They were estimating 2 hours to drive 9.7 km when the traffic is bad. We were lucky that the double decker red buses drivers were on strike for one day, which eased the traffic jam a lot.




At one point, a lot of people were gathered. They were looking for day jobs.


Also the streets were full of bike rickshaws. They add to the traffic jam. But it was their livelihood. Who could stop them.





When we went to a coffee shop, we found it hilarious. It was a fake Starbucks. It is obvious, but it looked quite subtle.



One episode was that when we met with the leadership of Microcredit Regulation Authority, the Director scolded us for not giving him our business cards. I thought he was excessive, but so be it. Francis apologized but no need to.

I once led a leadership development training for GNI local staffs. At GN Bangladesh, there were two of the attendees: the new local country director Maeen and Francis who is leading the microcredit scale up program. It was quite joyous to see them in leadership and also in action. GNB has 300 employees with the annual budget of $4 million. So it is a significant operation. I wish them the best.





I was not sure if I could continue helping them in light of my tight schedule. - Jeffrey

No comments: