Friday, September 28, 2018

Seeing Friends in Korea (September 2018)

Any trip that is accompanied by the opportunities to see friends is already valuable and pleasant. My recent to Korea was no exception from the first day until the last minute before the departure.

Jun (Young Jun) Kim is a former colleague when I was leading Premier Bank in Colorado. He says that he never knows any other bank CEO. He is tied up taking care of his father with dementia.  He has a warm heart.


Agape Friends - My college life was fruitful because of Agape Club, a club of college students of Yonsei and Ewha serving people in need in the villages. I participated in both summer and winter programs for all 4 years. I had a get together with the same graduates. Two are professors at Yonsei and one runs his business successfully. 


Kyoungsup Kwon is an elder of a church. Also, he is the founder and Chairman of Sovico, the largest sound systems company in Korea. Sovica has taken care of most of the audio systems at the larger churches in Korea and also of the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics and 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics. We had breakfast and discussed various issues, but no photo was taken.

M Jae Moon is Underwood Professor at Yonsei University. He is an excellent teacher and a renowned researcher in public administration. Also, he serves as a member of SfK Korea board of directors.  Although he could not attend the board meeting due to his conflicting schedule, we had a get together.


High School Friends - I belonged to a couple of groups of friends when I was in high school. One consisted of 12 members and the other of six. The first was called Han Wool Hwe meaning one boundary. Unfortunately, one of them has already left this world. I got together with three of them who are usual friends to get together: Changho, Joonhan and Chuleui.


The other group was called "Six Friends." One of them is now in Busan, too far to meet. Another is living in Gwangju, again too far. Yet, another is living in Calgary, Canada. Again, too far to meet up. So we had a small gathering but we rejoiced greatly. We accidentally discovered a seafood place and we agreed to come to this restaurant all the time we meet. Gilyong and Myungkyu.



I have many college alumni, but have only several whom I can call friends. Pyung Ku is one of them. I have become closer with Jang Sik Shim who inherited and has been running sizable business in various industries.


Seeing friends is always great joy for my travel to Korea. I am making conscious efforts to maintaining my relationships with them. I hope and trust that I may gain some opportunities to witness who Jesus is. I am always grateful for my friends. - Jeffrey 

No comments: