Monday, August 6, 2018

Nairobi, Kenya (July 2018)


I made a trip to three countries in East Africa: Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda.

The first stop was Nairobi, Kenya because I purchased the round trip tickets between Bangkok and Nairobi.

I had several purposes for my visit, but one of the major ones was exploring the possibility of collaborating with African International University (AIU), one of the best known Christian universities in Nairobi. It has developed from NEGST or Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology, one of only two theological seminaries in the entire Africa which offers the MDiv degree programs. Dr. Caleb Kim, a friend of mine and Adviser to SfK Ministries on Islamic Studies, serves as Dean of Institute for the Study of African Realities, which offers doctoral degree program on Islamtic Studies. He also teaches at Fuller in Pasadena, California.



Caleb and Manok, Caleb's wife, have served in East Africa for almost 30 years. At this school alone, they have served for almost 20 years. They extended warm hospitality to me while I was staying at the guest house on the campus, called Kijiki Guest House. Kristin and I stayed at the same guest house 10 years ago before we traveled to Rwanda for an exploratory trip to Urwego Opportunity Bank.


I had a meeting with Professor Beatrice Warue, Dean of School of Business and Economics at AIU. The one hour meeting was very productive. She asked me to draft an MOU to document our conversation to explore further discussion. I was excited.


I met up with Martin, Africa Regional Director for Partners Worldwide, a Christian ministry that equips and empowers micro enterprises through microfinance. SfK and PW share so many common grounds, but we could not come up with any concrete way to collaborate. But it was joyous to meet a like-minded brother in Christ on holistic mission through business.


I attended the worship service at African International Church (AIC) Ongata Rongai which is led by a senior pastor who used to be one of Caleb's students. Not only the senior pastor but also his leadership team members were so nice and pleasant in welcoming both of us. They also showed strong interest in BAM after a short presentation after the worship service. I wonder what the Lord has in store.







While we were waiting for the senior pastor to guide us to the church, we stopped over a doughnut shop where all doughnuts were shiny glazed with sugar. In the front, there were buses that were hand-made and colorfully painted. I smiled because they are truly African.



I had an opportunity to meet up with JP Im and his wife over dinner. I was grateful that they made a long trip to AIU Campus to pick me up and to bring me back to the campus. They are one of the early missionaries from Korea to Africa. Both teach at Handong Global University and also serve younger missionaries by renewing their minds and attitudes. JP Im is also involved in BAM activities in Korea.


I had a reunion in 5 years with Missionary Myungha Hwang. He used to serve in Rwanda and also briefly in Ethiopia before he relocated to Kenya. The meeting was short, but sweet.


In the evening before I left Kenya, I invited the Caleb couple and also the Jongdo Lee couple to dinner. We used to get together to brainstorm about Integral Mission, which has solidified my conviction about God's calling to BAM. Dr. Jongdo Lee has established a college that offers a bachelor's degree in Theology along with other diploma programs. He showed a strong interest in redesigning the college curriculum with a focus on programs like BAM in partnership with SfK Ministries. I look forward to witnessing what the Lord has in store.


The most exciting event of my visit to Nairobi was meeting Kamal Said. He is the third generation of Iranian born in Kenya. He was a Muslim along with all his family. He met Jesus almost 20 years ago and he lost almost everything, financially and socially. Due to 90% of his business tied to the family, his businesses went under. Most of his assets were in his wife's name and his wife left Kamal with all assets. So he became broke. He was left in the world's largest urban slum called Kebera, working at a garage. He lived a tough life there. He met Caleb Kim 16 years ago and with $200 Caleb gave to him, he started a business and now has grown into auto repair garage, a guest house, a travel agency and an automobile sales business under Karen Huduma Ltd.





I met him for three days out of five-night stay in Nairobi. Although he has not taken any training from SfK yet, I have recommended to the SfK Life Investment Committee for approval on a $30K unsecured working capital loan to help Kamal. This exception was because he lost $195,000 deposited with Imperial Bank that collapsed in 2015. He later recovered only $10,000, thus draining his working capital and subsequently downsizing his business. The SfK Life Investment Committee approved the loan and we are now working on loan documentation. He requested me to mentor him on this journey and Caleb also asked me to invest some time in him. I agreed. I wonder what the Lord has in mind.

Kamal made an introduction for me to meet Wanjau, Director of a venture fund in Africa for Navigators. We exchanged what we were doing and agreed to further pursue for collaboration. I am waiting for his response and I hope that the Lord will open the door of opportunity for collaboration with NaVenture as is called. He could provide a lead to several countries where NaVenture has strong presence. Look forward to finding out what the Lord has in mind.


Overall, my trip to Nairobi Kenya was extremely productive. - Jeffrey

No comments: